Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Day 8


Being in the hospital can often be like riding a roller coaster. Between the ups and downs and doctor predictions and issues that come up, you just never know when you're going to go which way. And there is always the tug-of-war between optimism and reasonable expectations that at times are vastly different. In short, it is exhausting.

Today was a very good day for Dylan. My happiness for him was somewhat tempered by two of Dylan's neighbors. The 2 or 3 year old boy next door screamed for much of the day and I just wanted to cry for him. My heart goes out to his parents. It is such a hard thing to watch your child deal with pain. Dylan's roommate has been in the hospital for 1 month and isn't leaving any time soon. They are from out of state and her heart defect is much more difficult to repair. I guess being in a children's hospital and seeing the many children with heavy challenges is very humbling. But I do know that the Lord does not give us challenges in life that are greater than we can handle. Somehow with His help, we are able to make it through and grow in ways that we couldn't otherwise.


What a difference a day can make! Dylan was a different baby today.

The chest x-ray this morning showed for the first time that his lungs are mostly clear of fluids now. Yesterday must have been the magic day that his body decided it was ready to let all of the fluid go. They took him off of the oxygen and he lost his IVs.....


the one in the foot that he got meds through....



the one in the jugular vein (neck) and the one in his head that they had to put in last night for more meds....



and the one in his arm for his blood pressure and blood draws that they had to stint. He now gets to take all of his meds in liquid form by mouth. Too bad that potassium is so salty. Yuck!



Dylan was all smiles today and very alert.



(trying to see what that is up there)



Today is the first day that I felt like my Dylan was back and that he remembered me.




He got another bath to get some of the adhesive off (especially in his hair from the IV last night) and the nurses had fun playing with his curls.



Grandma got to come visit before she left. 
(Thanks for all of your help this last week Mom, we love you!!)



It has been a busy and wonderful day. Sleep well tonight, sweet boy.





14 comments:

  1. I am so happy that he is on the mend. What an adorable little guy. I love his great big grin. He is so special. Thank you for keeping us all informed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh its so great to see him happy and alert! I hope he continues to get better everyday so he can come home to his wonderful family that loves him so much. If you need anything, please let us help. We love you guys and will continue to keep you in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad he's continuing to do better! These pictures definitely look more like the ones you were posting before his surgery. What a cutie. We'll keep praying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! So glad Dylan is doing so well. He looks so happy and I'm sure that makes his Momma happy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so happy to see this post and hear that he is doing better! I absolutely love the 6th picture down where he has such a sweet smile on his face! I've been thinking about all of you and hoping and praying he gets better really soon and gets to go home to his brother and sisters!
    - Jess Spohn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Jen! I love your updates. This one has me smiling and in tears at the same time. I'm sooo glad Dylan is getting back to his normal adorable happy self!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Way to go Dylan! Those nurses sure had fun with his hair. From the look he's styling, he is bound to be an artsy musician! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a cute boy with tons of personality. And so happy he got all the IV's off! Thanks for keeping us posted. I love how you express yourself! It's wonderful that your mom was able to come help with your other children and be there to support you. Dylan's recovering is definitely an answer to lots of family/friends fasting and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh...what a darling! So alert with a smile that makes me smile! I love your updates, Jennifer and Justin. Thanks for sharing your ups and downs...it gives me hope and strength and by sharing your new perspective, I,too am changed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so glad most of the tubes came off and he is doing better. He is such a handsome little guy with an adorable smile...oh I LOVED the picture...completely frame worthy! :) I hope things continue to go as planned and he gets to come home soon. You and your family are always in our thoughts and prayers! :) love ya friend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm smiling all over inside! I'm so happy for you that "your" baby is back. Thanks for letting us know!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a happy little boy you have, despite the rough road he's been on over the past week. With this kind of day, just think of the even happier days ahead! Hooray for Dylan!

    ReplyDelete
  13. All those smiles are so cute. I'm glad he is doing better.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What wonderful news and smiles. What a sweet little guy!

    ReplyDelete

Heart Surgery.....COMPLETE!

 Yesterday was the big day that we've been waiting 14 years for.....Dylan's pulmonary valve replacement surgery.  When he was 5 mont...