Saturday, January 2, 2010

The History

We found out we were expecting baby #4 in June. We were all so excited to have a new little one join the family and we put our baby's due date of February 24th on the calendar. The kids were all thrilled when they found out it would be a new little brother and started making plans about all the fun things they would teach him and do with him. 






Right before Halloween, we learned the bad news from an ultrasound that this little baby boy would not have an easy entrance into this life. At that time we found out that he had two birth defects. One was Tetralogy of Fallot (a heart defect) and the other was Hydrocephalus (extra fluid on his brain). One or both would need surgery fairly soon after birth. The unknown factor (among many) was if these were unrelated abnormalities or if they were caused by a chromosomal defect. We switched all of our care up to Swedish in Seattle, where we started meeting with a good team of perinatal (high risk) doctors and cardiologists every couple of weeks to check on our baby's progress and to prepare for the care he would need after birth. That process was a bit of an emotional roller coaster for us, but we felt that we were in good hands.

Now, another unexpected turn of events has occurred. While visiting Utah after Christmas for a sister's wedding, my water broke. I am 32 weeks along and am now on hospital bed rest. All of our plans with our medical team in Seattle are void because the fact is that I am going to have this baby here in Utah - much sooner than we had planned. I cannot travel (or leave the hospital for that matter) until our little guy is born. The doctors hope to extend my pregnancy at least two more weeks to give our little guy more time to grow and develop (especially his heart). There are risks associated with continuing to carry a baby after the water has broken (infections, bleeding, baby squishing his cord, etc.), but at this point, those are outweighed by the risks of having him come so prematurely. It is unpredictable how long this will last though, so he could come at any time. The doctors are monitoring things very closely so that they can react quickly if they feel that either the baby or my body is not taking it well.

Once the baby is born, he will be taken directly to the NICU and evaluated there. He may need surgery immediately to help his heart work. We still are trying to figure out if he will need surgery on his brain (and his bladder and stomach, as we just found out on Thursday) right away or if we will be able to return home to Seattle and do those things up there.

Our week long trip to Utah has been extended for an unknown amount of time. The kids are thankfully able to stay with my parents, and we have siblings around to help out with them. Justin spends part of his time with the kids and part  of it visiting me in the hospital. In general, they do not allow children in the hospital to visit if they are under 14 years of age because of the swine flu. I am hoping that we will find a way around that soon. I have not given my three little cuties a hug for 3 days! But thankfully today I was brought a netbook, so I was able to talk with the kids over skype and see their cute little faces.

So life as we had planned it has changed once again and we are trying to adjust to our new circumstances. We are in a waiting game at this point and just hope and pray that when our little guy decides to come he will be okay and we will be able to begin to deal with his many challenges. We are excited to meet him and will hopefully have a name for him soon. We're not quite ready for him yet, but it looks like he will be here a lot sooner than the end of February!


28 comments:

  1. Jenn & Justin,
    We will keep you & your family in our prayers. Thanks for setting up this blog so that we can read how things are going and hopefully any way we can help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are fasting and praying for you. Grayson also has hydrocephelus and just had surgery to revise his ventricular shunt. If you have questions about the practical side of things on that item, let us know. We would love to come and visit you! Your little guy has an excellent family to look forward to. He will be so loved. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are praying/fasting for you guys! What a great idea to start a blog to keep everyone posted. Wish we were in UT to help out. Let me know if there is anything we can do to help. Lashelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love you guys and praying for an optimal outcome. It sounds like your family is in good hands...the doctors', your extended family's, and most importantly, Heavenly Father's. Heaven is very near! xoxo (from Cam) and best wishes! Cam and Collins

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad to be able to keep up to date with your little baby soon to be born. We are praying for your family as we fast this afternoon & tomorrow. Love, Aunt Sheila & Uncle Fred

    We have a lot of other reasons to pray and to fast too, so it came it a good time.

    Blessings do come from our trials and Heavenly Father does hear and answer our prayers, isn't that wonderful that we have His help? Comfort is one of the greatest gifts that He gives, I think.

    Thanks for keeping us posted :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you started this blog. Thanks for keeping us informed. You and your family and the baby will be in our fasting and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for keeping us updated. You are in my prayers (and Jared's fast tomorrow). Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Justin & Jenn - My thoughts and prayers are with you! Thanks for keeping us updated. I wish I was there so I could help out!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You will be in our fast tomorrow. We will be back to Utah in about a week. Let us know what we can do to help!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Our family is also praying and fasting for your new little one and your whole family. He looks like a handsome little guy on the ultrasound! If you need any help or rides, just let me know.
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  11. We are praying and fasting for you guys today. Thanks for keeping us updated on the situation. You guys are doing a great job. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help out down here in the Valley of the Sun.

    Love, Shirley and Kids

    ReplyDelete
  12. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. I am glad you have so much family around to help you. Continue to have faith and know that the Lord is mindful of all of you.

    Tracey Minaker

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Jenn -
    We are praying and fasting for you, your little one, and your family. Stay strong and take care of yourself.

    Mandy McHenry

    ReplyDelete
  14. this was a really good idea, Jenn. Thank you for keeping us updated. I have been checking your other blog several times a day for updates. I feel so bad that your other kids can't visit you. Please know that you are in our thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  15. (Rocio Joo) We're praying and fasting for all of you too. I'm sure this little guy will be a blessing in your life.
    Love,
    Rocio

    ReplyDelete
  16. We're thinking about you today, too, and hope you get to hug your kiddies soon - all of them - healthy and strong! I hope the doctors you're working with now are wonderful and caring, and that you feel confident in them and in your current situation, and last of all I hope the hospital is decently comfortable with good food, as it sounds like you'll ideally be there for a while (as un-ideal as that sounds...) We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. My, what a powerful force you have routing for you all! We are also praying and fasting for you!
    I pray that you will feel the PEACE and LOVE of your Father in Heaven at this time!
    I am in Utah and can help in any way (I think you wanted to have Alanna organize things for you so I'll ask her what you need). You just take care and hang in there!
    -Ashley Wright

    ReplyDelete
  18. Justin & Jenn,

    We are praying for you! We know this can be hard and that we can all find strength in each other and the Lord. Let us know if there is anything we can do - we are here close by.

    Byron & Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  19. My goodness! Little did you know when you came to UT for Erin's wedding that you would be staying this long. I would be happy to watch your children anytime except for when I'm in the temple Wednesday and Thursday mornings. But I could probably get a substitute if you need me on those days. Call me at 801-966-4605. We, too are fasting and praying for you. We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! What a touching story. Our prayers as a family are with you. Please let us know if there is anything we can do for you. Additionally, what a blessing it is to be a member of the LDS Church during these difficult times. The Lord knows your family and your needs. We love you guys and don't hesitate to reach out.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Our prayers and thoughts are with all of you, Jenn! We pray things will go as well as possible - for you and the sweet baby.
    much love to you,
    Lisa LaPierre

    ReplyDelete
  22. We are thinking and praying for you all. Let us know if there is anything we can do to help out.

    Love,
    Lisa and family

    ReplyDelete
  23. Dear Jenn, my heart goes out to you at this time. Please know James and I will be praying for you and your family. Let us know if we can be of help at all- we'd would love to have your kids down to Provo to play for a day if that would be helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  24. We are so sorry to hear about the challenges you and your family are facing Jennifer. Know that you are in our thoughts and prayers constantly. Please do not hesitate to let us know if there is anything you need.... especially if we can help with your house. We will keep an eye on it at the least. Email: lisayunt@gmail.com 253-333-9868.

    Hugs to all of you,
    Lisa & Sean Yunt
    Miracles happen every day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Please know that you are in our thoughts and prayers. You have been an Angel for MANY and I hope that many angels will attend to you and your needs at this time. With love,
    Kricket

    ReplyDelete
  26. Jennifer,

    I'm so sorry. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I'm so bummed you're in Utah but I know your in great hands. I wish I was able to help you out. I sure miss your sweet kids at church. Please call or email me if you want to chat. Please say hi to the kids next time you see them.

    Love, Janel Vaca

    ReplyDelete
  27. Jen,

    We have been thinking about you and praying for your family since we heard the news!! Please let me know if there is ANYTHING at all I can do! angster79@hotmail.com.

    Love and Hugs,
    Angela Smith

    ReplyDelete

Heart Surgery.....COMPLETE!

 Yesterday was the big day that we've been waiting 14 years for.....Dylan's pulmonary valve replacement surgery.  When he was 5 mont...