Wednesday, January 13, 2010

He is here!


Dylan Stuart Maner was born this morning at 8:45 a.m and weighs 4 lbs 7 oz. We never would have guessed that he would have a birthday the day after Brandon's! Today was exactly 34 weeks. Jenn started having some bleeding yesterday afternoon and so they moved her back to labor and delivery to monitor the situation. They found that her white blood cell count was running very high, she was running a low-grade fever, and she was starting to have contractions. This morning the doctors decided to go ahead and deliver now rather than wait it out and risk having to do an emergency c-section.



(I'll get some better pictures as soon as I can.)

Dylan is doing very well. He was taken straight to the NICU (first here at University Hospital and then transferred to Primary Children's) and had to have oxygen for a little while, but he is breathing just fine on his own now. He does not appear to have duodenal atresia (the stomach/intestinal problem) like they suspected from the ultrasound and he has been urinating just fine, a good indicator that the posterior urethral valves (the bladder problem) is not severe. He does have a heart murmur, which confirms the heart condition, and they are doing an echo today to see what exactly will need to be done for his heart. They will also do the chromosomal testing, which will take two weeks to get back, but from his appearance it is unlikely he has Down Syndrome or DiGeorge Syndrome, the two that were most highly suspected. He really is a beautiful baby and looks perfect in every way.

Jenn is doing fine. The baby was breach so she had a c-section. She is exhausted after a night of no sleep plus an operation. She is in pain but has finally gotten that down to a point where she is able to rest. The kids are also very excited as you can see from the picture taken below after hearing the news!

We are are so happy to have Dylan here at last and thrilled that he is doing so well. We have felt the power of fasting and prayer and are so grateful for all of your love, support, kindness, and generosity. We have felt so loved through this all and we thank all of you for that. We will continue to post updates as we learn more.

44 comments:

  1. He's a doll! congratulations to all of you, and good job Mom for hanging in there for so long! You are always in our thoughts:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I am so very relieved to hear of Dylan's safe arrival. Prayers are truly answered but not always how we expect--I was praying that Jennifer could make it another 2 weeks:) He looks just wonderful. More prayers for good doctors and positive prognoses coming your way.
    Love,
    Tracie Haddock

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful boy! glad you made it! what can we say, knowing the next couple of weeks will also be difficult except that you are in our thoughts and hearts, and we wish you well during your healing time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! Dylan is a cutie and I'm keeping all of you in my thoughts and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dylan is beautiful! Hoping all goes well this next couple of weeks. You are in our thoughts and prayers. Also, we would love to come up to SLC and take your cute kids to ice cream. Emma and Tate would love to see them! Let me know, my new cell # 801-921-9515. Love, Catherine Grames

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am thrilled he is here and very relieved that things look so good! You have been in my thoughts all day! Marianne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful news! Can't wait to meet him. Glad to hear baby is doing well and Jennifer is getting some rest. Take care of yourselves and enjoy your new addition! love, BJorns

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations! We are so happy for you! Thanks so much for explaining every thing. It helps all of us! I am so thankful Heavenly Father can do anything and that he helps and blesses us in our trials :) Aunt Sheila & Uncle Fred who says that you spelled Stuart wrong :) :) We really like the names you chose for this precious baby!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is wonderful Wednesday news! I thought I'd take a peek at the blog to see the latest - and what a surprise! It is a blessing to hear that things at this point are better than expected...it's so good to hear that news. Your family is in our prayers, and we know you have the faith and courage to keep going with whatever comes what may...we will continues to pray that everything will continue to be positive for this sweet new baby and spirit in your family.

    Even with the little peek we got with the pictures he is handsome and looks like before long he will be ready to keep up with his 3 loving siblings!

    Loves to your wonderful family,
    Summer and Bryson

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH wow!! Congratulations Jenn and Justin. That's so great that he's breathing on his own already and things are looking up. Jenn, hope you heal quickly and start feeling fabulous in a hurry. You're amazing and he's a beautiful baby!

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  11. Justin, Jenn & Family~

    We couldn't be happier to hear all of the good news! He is so beautiful! What a gift! We are thinking of you all often and continue to pray that he is healthy!

    Love,
    The Alfrey's

    ReplyDelete
  12. Welcome Dylan! We are so glad you are here. Can't wait until we get to see you in person. A. Lashelle

    ReplyDelete
  13. What wonderful news! He looks great and I'm thrilled things have gone so well!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats! we are so excited that the delivery went well and that Dylan is breathing on his own and seems to be a tough little boy and so cute with all that hair!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jimmie and Jill said: We are so excited and relieved that he is here safely. We love the name Dylan and he is truly a beautiful baby. We will continue to pray that all will be well. This little guy couldn't have asked for better parents or sweeter siblings:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations! He looks beautiful. He has more hair at 34 weeks than my kids have when they are a year old. I hope you can get some rest. We continue to pray that everything goes well and are so excited that you can finally see your handsome little boy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. We are so happy for you!! What great news. I can't believe all that hair. He is beautiful. Excited for more updates.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so relieved that everything went okay. I'm glad things are looking relatively better than expected, and hope that continues. He looks adorable and I love all that hair! What a cute name, too. Jenn, I hope you can recover quickly- great job hanging in there for so long! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. He is absolutely beautiful! What a precious gift from Heavenly Father!!! So glad that everything looks better than thought. Good luck with everything.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations, he's adorable! How exciting that he doesn't seem to have as many problems as the last post indicated. And breathing on his own! Hooray! We pray that he continues to make great progress--and that all else goes well with your family. Jenn, we hope your recovery is smooth and quick!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations! Little Dylan is absolutely handsome, I can't believe all that dark hair...so lucky! :) I am so glad the health issues seem to be better than expected...more of the Lord's tender mercies. I hope you (Jenn) continue to heal and feel good and I hope little Dylan continues to do GREAT! I (and Mark) look forward to more updates! :)

    Love y'all!
    Alanna (and Mark) :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congratulations! He is absolutely adorable! I love his hair!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is so great! We will are thinking of you and will continue to keep little Dylan in our prayers. He is a beautiful baby - so tiny! Hope Jennifer will recover quickly and you all get to be together very soon! Todd & Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congratulations!!! We're so happy to hear some of the problems seem to be less severe than originally feared, and hope it's just more good news from here on out. He's adorable, and is that tons of dark hair??? When will you be able to hold him? Or have you? We're thinking about you and look forward to your updates! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such happy, surprising news! Thanks for letting us know Dylan arrived, Justin. You and Jenn are amazing for hanging in there, and, Jenn, I don't care what anyone says—there is no doubt you're super woman! I wish I could take all the pain away. I'll keep praying for little Dylan. He's adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Jenn, he is absolutely beautiful! Congrats to you and your family! Get well soon. I can't wait for more pics.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Congrats! We are so happy he's here and doing so well. Hope Jenn gets feeling better. I think the worst part of a c-section is the first day...after that it's not so bad. We are so happy he's healthy! Keep us updated with more pictures and news! Congrats again!
    Love, Brad Megan & Katelyn

    ReplyDelete
  28. Glad Dylan arrived safely. We will continue to keep you all in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Congratulations! He truly is so handsome, and I'm glad things seem to be looking up! You're in our thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh, how wonderful that he is here. He looks great and I am so glad that he is doing so well. So many beautiful answers to lots of prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I just found your blog - little Dylan looks pretty darn good considering being undercooked! I think he's a very handsome little man, and I will be praying for him and your whole family. I'm so glad to hear that his health problems may not be as serious as originally thought.

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a relief! I am so glad he is doing so well. I thought he looked pretty big in the pictures until I noticed how large the pacifier looks next to him! Welcome Dylan!

    (Justin, I hope you were able to make it back to UT - you were in WA right??)

    ReplyDelete
  33. So grateful to hear how everything has gone. He is beautiful. Way to go mom!

    Sorry to hear you are in pain. The body is an amazing thing. Hopefully each day you will see a huge improvement and soon be up walking around. I remember the first time I walked to the bathroom by myself after my c-section. I wanted to call everyone and tell them about my accomplishment but decided they would think I was on way too much medication.:)

    We will continue to pray for you and sweet baby Dylan.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love his name and he looks great! What an answer to prayers he is. Was Justin able to be there? Remember to take the time to recover and get lots of rest while you still can.

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a handsome little baby. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Congratulations on your sweet son. I'm so glad he is doing as well as he is. I hope your recovery is smooth and that Dylan continues to gain strength.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Congratulations! He is so handsome! We are so happy things are going well.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Congratulations. We are also in the MBA program and have had you guys in our thoughts and prayers. Dylan is beautiful! Good luck with the weeks to come.

    ReplyDelete
  39. CONGRATULATIONS!! We are THRILLED that everything went so well. He looks absolutely beautiful! What a blessing! And yes, our prayers will STILL be with you! I hope your recovery goes well Jenn! Take care of yourselves!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I am so happy for you. What a beautiful boy. The look on Katelyn and Lindsey's faces pretty much sums up how we're all feeling. Our prayers will be with you and your wonderful family.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Congratulations! What a happy day! You guys are an amazing family! We will keep praying for you.-Jennifer Murdock

    ReplyDelete
  42. Justin missed the delivery by about one hour. We couldn't find a flight out of Seattle until 6:00 am on Wednesday. The doctors decided to move ahead and deliver a healthy baby boy while they still could and not push their luck. My mom was able to be there with me though, so I'm so grateful that I wasn't alone.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Congratulations, Justin and Jenn! Our prayers have been with you! We're so grateful for Dylan's miraculous arrival! What wonderful parents and awesome siblings! I love the picture of his sisters hugging in delight!
    A. Nancy & U. Jim Bailey

    ReplyDelete
  44. Congratulations- what a cute baby! We can't wait to meet little Dylan. You are all in our prayers. Much love from the Gray family

    ReplyDelete

Heart Surgery.....COMPLETE!

 Yesterday was the big day that we've been waiting 14 years for.....Dylan's pulmonary valve replacement surgery.  When he was 5 mont...