Monday, January 25, 2010

Growing


Dylan is now on an all-milk diet, without needing the IV fluids to supplement. It's so nice to not have an IV in one of his limbs. When they made that transition, he stopped gaining weight because he burns more calories than the average preemie baby. His heart has to work harder. They have started to put a powder fortifier in the milk to increase the calories he is taking in. He is now gaining weight again. He hasn't reached his birth weight yet, but he should very soon.

Dylan's jaundice has also decreased, so they have stopped poking his feet for that every day. And as a final milestone, he has graduated to a larger room (which means that he is less critical) and into an open crib, without a heater, and can now wear clothes to keep him warm. This means that he is big enough to regulate his own body temperature without the help of a warmer.



The main thing that is keeping him in the hospital is his ability to eat on his own. We continue to work on it every day and hopefully he will be able to do it soon. He just gets so sleepy and is not awake for some of his feedings. It takes a lot of energy to eat when it's not coming in through your feeding tube.

All in all, we are so happy with his progress and are so thankful that he is doing so well.

Justin is in Seattle right now. We miss him, but hope that the time goes by quickly. The kids are keeping busy with their new routine here and I am continuing to recover. This is not a normal recovery for me, since I have to go out to the hospital once or twice every day, which is a 45 minute drive one-way. But I am so thankful for all of the help we are getting right now.

14 comments:

  1. Oh, he is really so adorable! It sounds like he's doing well and I'm so happy for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its so good to hear that Dylan is continuing to get better every day! Let us know if we can do anything for Justin while he is at home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a good lookin' guy he is! Definitely your kid :) Take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad that he is passing so many milestones! What a little fighter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad to hear things are going well for your little man. He is absolutely adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Last evening, Nancy Eddy sent me the link to your blog. I've had you in my prayers each day. I was thrilled read about Dylan and his progress. He is adorable -- cute, cute, cute. The pictures are so good to see. Prayers will continue. Jan Wilkes

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am thrilled to read about Dylan and see all the pictures of him and each of you! Nancy Eddy called yesterday and gave me the news of his birth & the link to your blog. I have been praying and remembering you in my heart each day. So, to I read about Dylan's progress is an answer to those prayers Knowing that some or all of his health issues are less than expected is such good news! Jan

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so glad to hear his progress. Keep trying to eat Dylan, Makenzie is rooting for you, she remembers how hard that was! You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jennifer, I just found out about this blog today, so I'm glad to have fresh news about your family. I'm so happy Dylan is doing good
    It's been emotional to reed your blog, I know what you are going through since Talan had to stay in the NICU as well. It's just not easy! But soon the time will pass and he will grow into a strong boy!
    Our thoughts and prayers are with your family. Good luck with everything and let us know if there is any way we can help.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh goodness, he's so handsome. You must be so exhausted. I know I don't like to leave the house for about a month after having a baby. You're doing amazing, thanks for all the updates.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a GREAT looking kid! I'm happy that I am related, even if the gene pool has been altered somewhat by Dennis' good looks. Perhaps the dark hair came from his side of the family.

    Dave Babbel

    ReplyDelete
  12. He is so adorable! My heart goes out to you on those long trips to the hospital multiple times a day... you are a rock star, Jennifer!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. He is so handsome, Jen and Justin! Very happy to hear that he is growing and doing so well. Hugs to you and Dylan's big brother and sisters!

    ReplyDelete
  14. he is so adorable! we miss you all!

    ReplyDelete

Heart Surgery.....COMPLETE!

 Yesterday was the big day that we've been waiting 14 years for.....Dylan's pulmonary valve replacement surgery.  When he was 5 mont...