Monday, February 1, 2010

Test Results


We got the results back from the chromosomal testing the doctors did when Dylan was first born. They tested for Down's syndrome and DiGeorge's syndrome, which are the two most common chromosomal causes for Dylan's heart condition. 

The tests came back negative! 

It is an amazing thing to think back on where we were when Dylan was born almost three weeks ago. Our best knowledge from ultrasounds and tests was that this little baby would have four congenital defects, three of which would need surgery fairly soon after birth and the fourth needing medical treatment and possibly surgery. Because of the number and variety of defects, the doctors' best prediction was that this baby would have Down's syndrome. This is where we were three weeks ago.

It is truly a miracle that after he was born the defects and predictions began to melt away one at a time.  All that is left is Tetralogy of Fallot, which is mild and will be repaired by surgery in a few months. He is perfect and we are so thankful!

8 comments:

  1. So thrilled things are going so well. Getting excited for you to get him out of the hospital and eventually getting him back here to Auburn!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear the great news! He is one tough little cookie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful! I'm so excited that things are looking up...and that a discharge looks likely in the near future! Thanks for sharing this with everyone--what an amazing story Dylan has!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Jennifer, that is such wonderful news! What a miracle baby. He is so handsome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing blessings. We join you in thankfulness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It really is amazing! We are so excited that everything has turned out for the better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jen!
    I've been following your blog and I have to say I tear up a little every time I read it. I'm just SO happy that things are going even better than expected with Dylan. You guys are one of my favorite families and I'm sure all this good news has something to do with your great faith. I'm so excited for you guys to come back so I can see your sweet baby!
    Geneva

    ReplyDelete
  8. Truly miracles do happen! I'm so happy that Dylan is doing well and that he gets to go home soon. Also, I'm glad that you get to relax at home more, Jenn, rather than going back and forth to the hospital (I've done that with a newborn in the NICU and it is draining).

    ReplyDelete

Heart Surgery.....COMPLETE!

 Yesterday was the big day that we've been waiting 14 years for.....Dylan's pulmonary valve replacement surgery.  When he was 5 mont...