Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Small Miracles



I continue to stand all amazed at the hand of the Lord in Dylan's life, and am reminded that the Lord's hand is in each of our lives, though we may not recognize it as often.

We had a very humbling experience on Monday, which I feel impressed I should share on this blog, with the hope that it serves as a reminder for all of us that heaven is close by and we are never alone. 

The GI doctor asked that we get Dylan's blood drawn again to test levels as I explained in the previous post. Because of several bad experiences with blood draws, I told the doctor that we would not get his blood drawn anywhere else than Seattle Children's with our favorite lab tech there. I will not put Dylan through torture again. So on Monday the kids and I (they're all out of school for Christmas vacation) went up to Seattle. Thankfully the hospital has a sibling playroom, so the kids didn't have to sit in the lab with Dylan. We went back with the lab tech and I reminded him that we had been there before and that he has been the only one that has been able to find Dylan's veins right away without more pokes or digging around. He was amazing as usual and found Dylan's little vein immediately. But then the miracle happened. Dylan has bad memories of hospitals and typically screams all the way through anything that the doctors/nurses try to do with him, especially anything that has to do with needles. Dylan complained at the initial poke. But then with the lab tech talking to him, he totally relaxed and was calm.  It was amazing to me, because we had to fill up 5 vials with his blood for the testing that needed to be done, and that takes some time. I was amazed at Dylan's courage. And I knew that the Lord was helping him and us through it. When we were finished, Dylan got his arm wrap and gave the lab tech a big high five. I just wanted to give this guy a big hug! As we went out into the hall to get Dylan back into his stroller, I just started crying. 

So again I am reminded that while we all have difficult things to deal with in life we never walk alone. This may not seem like a big thing to some, but for Dylan it makes all the difference. And I am so thankful for a Father in Heaven that is concerned with not only the big things in our lives, but the little details. It is a very humbling thing to witness and recognize. I am very thankful for this reminder and I am so thankful for such a strong, brave little boy.


2 comments:

  1. This little miracle experience touched me--thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a blessing! I'm so glad that went as well as it possibly could have.

    ReplyDelete

Heart Surgery.....COMPLETE!

 Yesterday was the big day that we've been waiting 14 years for.....Dylan's pulmonary valve replacement surgery.  When he was 5 mont...