Well, I wasn't planning on having anything to report after Dylan's visit with the GI doctor this last week. It was supposed to be a quick weight check and measuring. Based on Dylan's measurements (he is officially 20 lbs. and 8 oz.!) and some of my responses to questions about Dylan the doctor indicated that he is becoming more suspicious of Celiac disease. He sent Dylan down to get an x-ray of his hand to determine bone age and asked me to get his blood drawn right away. The doctor wants to check the level that was a bit elevated last time that sent up a red flag. If it has gone up, then he will want to go ahead and do a biopsy, which will require going into Dylan's small intestine and getting several samples of tissue to test and look at. This is coming sooner than I expected. We have an appointment in a month to determine what our next course of action will be. And in the mean time we are adding Carnation instant breakfast to all of Dylan's milk to increase his calories any way we can as a last ditch effort. If he does have this disease, then no amount of effort on our part will make any difference in his weight or growth, because the body does not absorb nutrients as it should. So we will see what happens. I feel like another chapter is about to start for our little guy. We will see what the future holds for him, and for us.
Updates will come as I get new information.

Ah man. Really? Well, I hope things continue to be good for your little man, and that any information you find is helpful. We are keeping you in our prayers.
ReplyDelete