We had another first....Dylan wore a Holter monitor for 24 hours Monday through Tuesday this week. It was a quick appointment, just for the nurse to place the sensors and give us directions for what to do.
Dylan had 5 sensors, 3 on the front and two on his sides by his rib cage. All the wires connected to a device that he wore around in his pocket. It measured his heart rhythms for the 24 hour period, storing all that info. The nurses will look at all of it when I return the device today.
There was a special button they told Dylan to push if he ever felt any discomfort or weirdness with his heart. He does get pains in there every once in a while. He'll say "my heart hurts." But it doesn't happen often, and it didn't happen while he was wearing the monitor. Other than that we just had to record any periods of exercise or elevated heart rate, as well as when he was asleep. Not too hard!
Tuesday morning I asked him how he slept. "I woke up about 2 million times last night!" Well, I guess trying to sleep with a bunch of wires that pull on your skin isn't too comfortable. Glad it was only a 24 hour test!
I think the hardest part was trying to get the sensors off yesterday. The adhesive they use on those things is effective!
So test #1 is done. Not too bad! We'll see if they learn any new information about Dylan's heart.
But for now, we've got normal life to live! So we'll take it!




No comments:
Post a Comment