Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Memories


This last week we enjoyed a wonderful vacation with family in Utah. It was a much needed break from doctors and testing and results. We received the results from the first round of testing right before we left for our trip and there were some abnormal findings. What does this mean? It means that more testing is needed.

Since we got back from vacation over the weekend, I took Dylan in to Swedish hospital to draw more blood for more tests yesterday. They are testing for a lot of things, so they wanted to draw the maximum amount that they could from a baby of Dylan's size. I had great apprehension about going back to the same place to have it done since the first experience was so traumatic for Dylan. His veins are hard to find and it took her forever to do it last time. When I got into the lab, I decided to have a heart to heart with the lab tech and basically let her know that I wasn't happy with what happened last time and wanted a different experience for Dylan. She suggested that we go up to Seattle Children's (where Dylan had heart surgery last year) to have the labs taken there. Although it made our day longer, I am so grateful for this tender mercy from the Lord. I requested the most skilled, experienced tech there and had a much, much better experience. He was so quick, and he didn't even have to check both arms or feel around the arm to figure out where to poke little Dylan. He just knew where the vein was and found it immediately. Although Dylan cried through having so much blood drawn, it was 300% better this time. And I got to hold him in my lap this time rather than strapping him down to a table like we did last time. I am so thankful that we have found someone that can help Dylan have a better experience and not torture him with digging around in his arm trying to find a vein. I really wanted to give that wonderful lab tech guy a hug! We will definitely be making the drive up there every time anyone wants more labs from Dylan.

As an aside, it was sort of surreal being there at Children's again, almost a year after Dylan's open heart surgery. While we were waiting there for Dylan's turn in the lab, I noticed another family there for labs. Their boy who was 10 or 11 years old was holding a big stuffed red heart. I immediately knew why they were there because Dylan received a big stuffed red heart for people to sign when we were there for his pre-op day. I talked with the mom and realized that this boy was having a valve replacement surgery, which is what Dylan will likely have when he is a bit older.  I was able to talk to the mom about the surgeon, because we had the same surgeon. It made me realize again that these kids with these kinds of challenges in life are very strong and very special. This sweet boy came over and played with Dylan before it was our turn in the lab. And then as we were leaving the lab I saw them in the room across the hall and was able to tell them good luck. So today, my thoughts and prayers are will this boy and his family that I met yesterday. I really hope that his surgery today went smoothly and that he has a quick recovery.

One more update for Dylan will be coming shortly after I get a decent video of him.....


3 comments:

  1. What a journey you are on. We think of you often. Best of luck with the results from the blood work. He is so darling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that went better than before. It's kind of nice you were able to meet that other family as well. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were smart, Jenn to request to have a better experience. You definitely are an advocate for your son, Dylan, in helping him to have the best experience. You have a way of saying things that get action, but you do it in such a nice way, that you don't offend. What a good example you are to me.

    ReplyDelete

Heart Surgery.....COMPLETE!

 Yesterday was the big day that we've been waiting 14 years for.....Dylan's pulmonary valve replacement surgery.  When he was 5 mont...