Thursday, September 30, 2010

Follow-up




Just a quick update on Mr. Dylan (as we all call him, especially the kids). 

He is 14 lbs. 9 oz. now. His length and head circumference are continuing to get bigger and starting to catch up with where he should be, which is great. His weight is not however. He is still completely below all charts and is not gaining at a faster rate now that his heart surgery is over. So basically we came away from his pediatrician with two courses of action.

1. I kept track of the total ounces of formula that he took in within two 24 hour periods. It is less than where he should be and he is not ready for baby food or cereal. So those numbers will go to a nutritionist and then they will decide how to get him to take in more calories and gain weight faster. It probably means that we will have to start fortifying his bottles again.

2. He will be evaluated at a special clinic for 6-8 month old preemies for his development. The pediatrician thought that Dylan was borderline for needing therapy to get caught up developmentally. He cannot roll, he cannot sit up by himself, and he is just starting to lift his head off of the ground when he's on his tummy. So we will see what those doctors and therapists have to say about Dylan and if there are things we need to do to help him.

Personally, I think he is just the cutest little baby ever and I think he is doing remarkably well. I am totally okay with him taking his time to get caught up, he has had so much to deal with in his 8 months of life. But I also realize that it is important that he learns the skills that he needs. We are not overly concerned about him at this point, these things are pretty easy to overcome.


5 comments:

  1. I love this picture! What adorable boys. Dylan looks great. I hope you are able to get the answers you need and that he will start growing soon. I finally had to realize with my girls they were never going to be on a chart. Ash was less than 5% when she turned one. Even now as a 13 year old she probably isn't on a chart. You are still in our thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love looking at pictures of this baby. He has the sweetest little angel face, you must find yourself staring at him all day. If all you ever did was post pictures on this blog I would still look at it just see that face :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dylan is such a doll! It is hard to think of him underweight with those great cheeks! Loves and prayers for your family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My youngest, Trey, was a failure to thrive baby. he used to get half and half in his sippy cup. He is fine now. Some kids are just little. My one sister that had a VSD is only 5'1". He may just be a little guy. Love his cheeks though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute baby! We miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete

Heart Surgery.....COMPLETE!

 Yesterday was the big day that we've been waiting 14 years for.....Dylan's pulmonary valve replacement surgery.  When he was 5 mont...